My Etsy Shop

Monday, February 21, 2011

NOT the Mom of the Year….

Happy President’s Day everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. Ours was good….except for a ‘little incident’ that really had me quite a bit frightened. Well, actually, it could have me nominated for ‘NOT Mom of the Year.’

I have to backtrack a little bit so you get the whole story…

Saturday morning my sister Nicole called me up and asked if we wanted tickets to ‘Sesame Street Live.’  She had gotten 4 free tickets and wasn’t going to use them. We didn’t have any major plans so I thought it would be fun to surprise the kids and take them into NYC to see the show. By the way, we have gone to the city more times in the last few weeks than we have in years…LOL! But before we went, I needed to stop and help my other sister Jeanna do her make-up for a wedding she was going to.

Okay…we get to the city and the kids are so excited when they see that we are going to the Elmo show. As we are waiting for the show to start Anthony points to his ear and says ’piece…ear.’  I responded ‘you have a piece in your ear?’ He  was just looking around, taking it all in, and then the show started. I really did not think much of his comment. Anthony didn’t know what to expect, so he just sat on my lap and watched. He was pretty relaxed. I was thinking maybe he was tired, although he did take a nap before we left.

Now, intermission comes and he points to his ear and says ‘piece…ear.’ Again, I repeat, ‘you have a piece in your ear?’ But just then the lights go down and the show continues. He watches but was on the quiet side the rest of the night and he falls asleep on the car ride home. Again, I didn't think anything of his comments....

Sunday morning comes and he gets up early. I am sitting in his room reading one of Christopher’s Lego sticker books (not sure if I have mentioned it before…but Christopher is a fanatic about Lego’s). We are flipping through the pages and he points to a little green Lego piece in the book and says ‘piece…ear.’ What?? The lightbulb finally goes off! Now I am thinking….could he have a piece in his ear?? My heart starts pounding. I quickly turn him to look in his ear….and low and behold….HE HAS A GREEN LEGO PIECE IN HIS EAR!!!!

What is wrong with me?? The poor kid had it in his ear from the day before and he tried to tell me and I didn’t get it!! Why didn’t I look when he mentioned it at the show?? Now I call for the hubs because I don’t want to try to get it out alone. Chris got the tweezers and thankfully was able to pull it out!!

Can you imagine? He was probably so uncomfortable all night. What if it had gone in deeper? The kid could have gone deaf and it would have been my fault. The lesson learned here….listen to your kids when they are trying to tell you something. And now you can nominate me for “NOT the Mom of the Year’….I deserve it : )

Okay…now I will share a few pics from the show…before I knew my son had a Lego stuck in his ear…LOL!
DSC03079
DSC03095
DSC03090
DSC03091

And here is my little sister Jeanna….before I did her make-up and after. Like the ‘smokey’ eye I tried to do?? LOL! She tends to be more 'natural' and not where lots of make-up. She is beautiful either way : )
DSC03076DSC03078DSC03077

Have a good day...

11 comments:

Momma Wilson said...

don't stress momma, we all have those moments:) I think little boys are all about putting things where they don't belong! Looks like yall had fun though!!!

Sippy Cup Mom said...

I love her makeup!

And I would have been the same way! There are lots of times Hayden tries to tell me things and I don't know what he is saying! :-(

Jumping Jack said...

So glad yall were able go get the piece out of Anthony's ear! Poor baby! But don't beat yourself up - you didn't know what was going on.

I so want to go to Sesame Street Live - was it awesome? I'm sure the boys loved it!

AllieMakes! said...

OMG! It happens to all of us!! You are still mom of the year!!
Seriously! Your sis could totally pass for you!! You guys got in all the same lines in heaven! She is a doll too!

AllieMakes! said...

Oh, and I am totally jealous of her thick shiny hair!

Hannah said...

That is scary, but unfortunately anyone with little boys will probably never be nominated for mom of the year LOL! I can't tell you how many times I have had to get stuff out of Wyatt's nose! He once stuck a bunch of sand in his ear and it caused so much irritation he got an outer ear infection! I am so happy that you were able to get it out! BTW, so jealous about going to Sesame Street live! How fun!

Unknown said...

OMG...The joys of parenting lol!

Beautiful family :)

LeeAnn said...

I have so many of those awards piled up, I would be happy to pass one on to you! LOL Don't beat yourself up over it, though. Nothing bad happened and you got it out. That stuff happens to the best of us. I'm just lucky that my kids don't seem to have the desire to stick stuff in their various openings, or else I'm sure the same kind of thing would happen to me.

Sesame Street Live looked like fun! I need to take Rylie to that. Bryce probably wouldn't sit still, though, so he may have to stay at home.

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife said...

aw it could have happened to any of us!! At least the little guy is ok!! He's a trooper, I would have thought having something stuck in your ear would make you freak out and cry etc, he seems to have taken it really well!

We were at Sesame Street Live on Tuesday (nursery school trip) It was really cute until the last 30 minutes, then I was bouncing up and down ready to leave! lol I also think I spent $50 on little toys amd drinks because of course I needed 2 of everything! They really get you at those shows. And my kids haven't even touched the light up Elmo spinner thing since tuesday!

Your sister is beautiful! I love her make - up!(and her hair!)

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

awww - poor baby, poor Momma! I totally learned that lesson myself. My daughter is a bit over-dramatic (to say the LEAST), and I have kind of learned to ignore a lot of her drama when it comes to being 'hurt'. But learned my lesson that when she is complaining about a tummy hurt, or head hurt - is not the same about a hurt tiny little pink spec thingy on her finger.

But yours was an easy thing to misunderstand! 'Piece ear' doesn't exactly scream - Momma, I have something in my ear! Lol, good job for the light bulb going off in the first place!

Carol said...

I'm so glad that you were able to get it out without a trip to the ER. The show looks fun! We've never been...maybe we'll have to put that on our to-do list for 2011!