My Etsy Shop

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Project Fail…..

This week has not be so great for us. The weather has been HOT, the kids have had fevers, I have gotten thrown up on twice and I worked on project and after completion, it FAILED!

Christopher has been obsessed (like most the world) with playing Angry Birds on my phone.
angry_birds_
Now that this game has become so popular, there is merchandise popping up all over the place. T-shirts are in all the stores but I also saw some cute flip flops online. I thought to myself “I can make those.”

Joann’s had flip flops on sale for $1 so I picked up a white pair and went to work.
flip

I wasn’t sure what I was going to do…then I thought that Sharpie’s might do the trick. I drew the red angry bird on the flip flops with a pencil first and then went back over it with the Sharpie.
IMAG0228

I waited until the next morning to make sure they were dry. I was really excited that they had come out great. But as soon as Christopher put them on, the marker was all over his foot. Okay….how can I fix this? My genius idea was to Modge Podge the bottom and that maybe that would act as a ‘sealer’ and keep the Sharpie from running.

Well, we went to a backyard bar-b-que and Christopher wanted to wear them to show all of the kids. Needless to say, my idea FAILED.

They looked like this after only an hour of playing!! The marker had run and the Modge Podge all peeled. Oh, and I had added the words ‘Angry Birds’ on the straps (after I took the first picture above) and that all peeled off too!
IMAG0241IMAG0240

Sadly, I threw them in the garbage. I thought Sharpie’s were permanent?? What the heck??

Does anyone have any ideas what medium I can use to try and make these again??

Hopefully this project and the rest of the week will be a little bit better for us :)

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Those flip flops are fabulous! You are so talented!

iammommahearmeroar said...

Wow. You did an awesome job designing them. I'm trying to think about what would seal them off and I'm not sure. I thought maybe a spray coat of poly urethane, but I really don't know if that would work or not. It's extra tricky because his foot will really be wearing that area non stop. Sorry I'm not more helpful. If I think of anything I'll let you know. The idea to make them was SO clever!

Cheri

Carol said...

Awe, but they look so cute! It's not a fail. I am completely uncrafty, so my solution is always duct tape or hot glue, and I don't think either will work in this case.

Shellac, Shelak, Chellack, you know that stuff you spray on wood to seal it....that's my only other genius notion.

Miss you, girl! Email me!

AllieMakes! said...

Oh how CUTE! A is in love with all things Angry Birds. When we were in Wildwood, NJ she WON 5 angry birds from the machines! And had to have an Angry Birds T-shirt...
I would pay money if you could figure those out without the "bleed" :)